By Shawn Powers, D.C.
“I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can.” – Helen Keller
The world needs your help. Children are at risk. Parents and children would benefit from learning the ADIO approach to life and health care. Every child deserves to be under chiropractic care. Every chiropractor has a duty to know how to care for children or refer them to someone who does.
A recent study found that the use of antidepressants soared among teenagers and children. In a 7-year period there was a 3-5-fold increase in the use of antidepressants in children ages 2-19!
Another study reports that potentially harmful medication errors occur three times more often among hospitalized children than adults. In a six-week study at Children’s Hospital Boston and Massachusetts General Hospital for Children found 616 medication errors out of 10,778 orders written. Six hundred and sixteen errors in 6 weeks, that is 100 errors per week!
The other day while standing in line an 8 year old in front of me was wearing a T-shirt that said WHERE THE F___ IS MY MEDICATION? As the child stepped away I asked the adult about the T-shirt. She said that he has ADD and he bought that T-shirt with his own money because he could relate to it. This was shocking, sad, angers me, and confirms how big our job is.
Every time you feel inhibited about speaking the truth and telling the chiropractic story think of the children. They need you.
For those of you who will be at the Focus seminar this weekend I look forward to seeing you.
Powersource Coaching Success Tips 5-16-01
1. Provide resources for you practice members regarding children and chiropractic care. (Pamphlets, articles, educational workshops, testimonials, your table talk and educational posters.)
2. Utilize a specific pediatric case history and consultation.
3. Create a safe warm and inviting children’s area.
4. Master your skills of pediatric adjusting and communication.
5. At least once a year have an effective children’s day.
6. Speak at every school, boy/girl scout troop, day care centers, PTA’s etc.
7. Generate The Well-Adjusted Kids Club, a special area for children’s picture and testimonials.
8. Include children in your Practice Member of The Week program.
9. Create affordable family care plans.
10. Join the ICPA.
Powersource Coaching provides head, heart and hand coaching to create legendary practices and develop individuals who experience their dreams and live their ultimate destiny.
For information on scheduling Dr. Powers for your next meeting, or on products, coaching services and TeleClasses call 512-306-1844 or email at [email protected].
View Shawn Powers, D.C. event schedule on Planet Chiropractic.
Women in chiropractic online group is now established. Chat with other female doctors around the world. Go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/womeninchiropractic to sign up.
planetc1.com-news @ 2:12 pm | Article ID: 990047569