By Michael Dorausch, D.C.
I am posting this to the news so that users of our chiropractic website don’t miss it. This was just forwarded to me days ago and is an example of a suspicious reply someone had after posting an ad for front office help.
— The Email —
Permit me to inform you of my desire of going into business relationship with you. I got your contact from the internet where searching for a responsible and humble person who will assist me on this, and I prayed over it and selected your name among other names due I was directed by God to do so, I must not hesitate to confide in you for this simple and sincere business .
I am Mariam Koffi the only daughter of late Mr. and Mrs. George Koffi My father was a very wealthy cocoa merchant in Abidjan , the economic capital of Ivory coast, my father was poisoned to dearth by his business associates on one of their outings on a business trip. My mother died when I was a baby and since then my father took me so special. Before the death of my father on January 2004 in a private hospital here in Abidjan he secretly called me on his bed side and told me that he has the sum of ten million, five hundred thousand United State Dollars. USD (US$10.5 million) left in fixed / suspense account in one of the prime bank here in Abidjan, that he used my name as his only daughter for the next of Kin in depositing of the fund. He also explained to me that it was because of this wealth that he was poisoned by his business associates.
That I should seek for a foreign partner in a country of my choice where I will transfer this money and use it for investment purpose such as real estate management or hotel management , I am honourably seeking your assistance in the following ways:
(1) To provide a bank account into which this money would be transferred to.
(2) To serve as a guardian of this fund since I am only 22 years.
(3) To make arrangement for me to come over to your country to further my education and to secure a resident permit in your country.
Moreover, I am willing to offer you 15% of the total sum as compensation for your effort/ input after the successful transfer of this fund into your nominated account overseas. Furthermore, you indicate your options towards assisting me as I believe that this transaction would be concluded within fourteen (14) days you signify interest to assist me.
Anticipating to hear from you soon.
Thanks and God bless.
— End of the Email —
I see these every day in my email but there is some slim chance that someone is not aware of these scams. If you do a google search for “Mariam Koffi” you’ll get “Nigerian Advance Fee Fraud Scammers” in the top results.
See the article (Chiropractic Classifieds – Watch out for Scams) for related info
Use caution and common sense when dealing with any financial transaction:
- NEVER wire funds to a distant buyer, via Western Union or any other carrier
- Be wary if the other party wants to use an escrow service such as BidPay or Squaretrade
- NEVER give out personal financial information (checking account number, SSN, eBay/PayPal info, etc.)
- trust your instincts, and always remember the most important rule — BUYER BEWARE
Who should I notify about fraud?
- FTC toll free hotline: 877-FTC-HELP (877-382-4357)
- FTC online complaint form (www.ftc.gov)
- Canadian PhoneBusters hotline: 888-495-8501
planetc1.com-news @ 12:05 pm | Article ID: 1146769554